Asset 9

Antique Car Museum

111 Grovewood Rd, Asheville, NC
(828) 253-7651
Get Directions
April – December: Monday – Saturday: 10am – 5:30pm. Sunday: 11am – 5pm
The Antique Car Museum is closed January – March
and on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day.

Worth a Detour

A popular attraction at Grovewood Village is the Antique Car Museum, established in 1966 by Harry Blomberg – Asheville’s Cadillac-Pontiac dealer for over half a century and founder of modern day Harry’s On The Hill. This unique showroom features Harry’s prized collection of antique and vintage automobiles, including a rare 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (only 400 made) and Asheville’s own 1922 American LaFrance fire truck. All vehicles are in running condition.

ADMISSION IS FREE, but donations are greatly appreciated and allow us to maintain the collection.

1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham on display in the Antique Car Museum at Grovewood Village. Exterior of the Antique Car Museum at Grovewood Village in Asheville, NC.

Year Vehicle Description
1913 Ford Model T (Tin Lizzie) - Currently on display at The Grove Park Inn
1915 Ford Model T Touring Car (Copperhead)
1916 Willys Overland Touring
1922 American LaFrance Fire Truck (Type 75)
1925 Dodge Touring
1926 Cadillac Seven-Passenger Touring Sedan
1927 LaSalle Phaeton
1927 REO Flying Cloud
1928 Chandler Sedan
1928 Pontiac Sedan
1929 Chevrolet Sedan
1929 Ford Model A Coupe (with rumble seat)
1932 Chevrolet Coupe
1940 Buick Century
1940 Packard Coupe
1950 MG TD Roadster
1954 Cadillac Sedan
1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham
1959 Edsel Corsair

Meet the Man Behind the Museum

Asheville entrepreneur and philanthropist Harry D. Blomberg (1904–1991) got his start in the automobile industry in 1923 when he was just 19 years old, opening one of the first filling stations in town. Learn about this local legend and the story of how an old moonshine still (on display in the museum) inspired Harry to save Biltmore Industries, an important part of Asheville’s history.

READ HIS FULL BIO

Did You Know?

Before there were cars here, there were looms. Constructed in 1923, this building originally housed Biltmore Industries’ weaving shop and had a total of 40 looms in steady operation producing bolts of some of the finest handwoven wool fabric in the country. Customers included the likes of Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Helen Keller, and several U.S. presidents and first ladies – some even had fabrics named for them, like Coolidge Red and Hoover Gray.

THE HISTORY OF BILTMORE INDUSTRIES

Be Sure to Look Up!

Cars aren’t the only stars at this attraction. The museum also features two enormous custom-made Roycroft chandeliers (circa 1918) designed by Karl Kipp – creator of some of the most sought-after metalwork of the Arts and Crafts movement. They once hung in Overlook, a stone castle with a storied past, still standing just a few miles from here.

You’ll also notice thought-provoking quotes inscribed on the museum’s overhead beams and chandeliers. These were placed up at the direction of Fred Seely – who built this complex to house Biltmore Industries – and chosen to act as words of wisdom for his employees.

Please Note

The museum is housed in a historic building that has no air-conditioning (fans only). Cool attire during summer months is recommended. If you’re traveling with a wheelchair, our docent can bring out a ramp for easy access into the museum.